Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My first cardigan - short rows


Progress is being made! In fact I almost feel like I am reaching the home stretch (not really but considering the hurdle I have just crossed I feel like the rest will be a cinch). I have finally completed my last set of short rows, which proved to be a mission! The technique advised in the pattern is to "wrap and turn" and then to hide the wraps. I managed the left side of the cardigan without too many issues as the wrap and turn happens on the knit side, and there were plenty of clear instructions on the net for this. But, the right side was another story altogether.

The wrap happens on the purl side, and I struggled to find any information, eventually I made it up myself based on the instructions for the left side (which it turns out was the correct way) but I could not get the hiding of the stitch to work. My work either had big holes in it, or did not resemble a stitch, or just looked really, really crap. I literally spent a week, knitting and tinking that whole section over and over and over. Very demoralising, and had me want to throw it all down and damn knitting for all eternity.


However, after much searching I found this website and it was my saving grace. I don't know why (as I am sure I had been trying the correct procedure but with no luck before) but suddenly it all came together. So, last night I finally finished the short rows, so I am one happy knitter.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Your persistance has really paid off, this looks fabulous. Lots of patience required! Love the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that colour is stunning, it will look amazing, love your work, love Posie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - every single one is appreciated x