Thursday, September 2, 2010

My Creative Space - trying to be about the process not the product


Knitting a cardigan has been a real learning experience, and not just for all the new techniques and skills I am learning. I have figured out that I am an immediate gratification kind of girl and tend to focus on the final product. I tend to make things that are quick, at the most a couple of days and that I rush things that should not be rushed (ahem, a dress that does not fit at all and that now needs the 3 hours of hand sewing to be unpicked is a good example...). So knitting a cardigan has gone totally against the grain for me, I have been working on it for weeks already and have still not finished the back (nearly there though!). I have found this quite frustrating, I just want it done. now. But, you can't rush knitting so I am having to learn how to just enjoy the process of knitting. Hopefully it is also teaching me to take my time on other projects as well, particularly my sewing.

Lots of other people hopefully enjoying the process here!

10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous red...I have been trying to get myself to do exactly the same thing. So hard but worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you mean! The worst bit though is yet to come - once you've finished knitting, then you get to sew all the seams and the ends - I really, really hate that part!

    This looks lovely - the colour is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admire your patience. I am far too much an instant gratification girl to attmept a knitting project. Well done

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel exactly the same about the crochet blanket I'm making, but I guess at least I get squares done for some instant (almost) gratification! It's looking great...keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. well done on challenging yourself - i'm a bit of a instant gratification kinda gal too - a quick craft is a good one! I also fear knitting so I admire you on another level as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep it sounds familiar. Just wanna see the thing finished. Well done for slowing down and trying to enjoy the knitting. It'll be worth all the time in the end - the red is a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does get a bit tedious, but it's so rewarding when you get to the end and look at what you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your knitting looks beautiful & I love the colour! It's been a while since I've knitted, I think I may have forgotten how, but I do remember it taking me quite some time to finish anything...still, always nice to have a little project on the go!

    ReplyDelete
  9. it's sometimes hard to enjoy the process when you just want to see the finished creation. that's a good thing to think about for life I guess. enjoy the creating & each moment.
    your pic is wonderful!
    hope you don't get too frustrated & you get it finished soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - every single one is appreciated x