Friday, September 3, 2010

Sewing for men

This is a post I have wanted to write about for a while as the issue arose about a month ago. My husband doesn't really go for the handmade goodies (he still has nightmares about the super itchy homemade jerseys he had to wear as a child) but he did ask if I would be able to sew him some shirts. He is quite slim and so really needs to wear fitted shirts which are surprisingly hard to find (unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars, which we don't). He even went so far as to come into Lincraft with me and sit looking at pattern books trying to find something. And we came out with nothing, nadda, zippo. There was maybe five pages of mens clothing, with at least 2 of these being for scrubs, 1 for a halloween costume and the rest were for boxy shapeless shirts. It seems like the modern pattern companies have given up on the men, they seem to be able to stay on top of women's fashion, providing thousands of lovely patterns, but when it comes to the men there is very little out there.

So I have had a bit of a browse at the vintage patterns, but I doubt this is what he is thinking of:

Image from What-I-Found

So, is it because the majority of home sewers are women that this demographic is not catered to at all? I think we all know from experience that it is not because men don't care how they dress. I for one would love to find someone out there producing patterns that are modern and fitted and classic, all at the same time, so I can make something for the man I love.

Of course, I could just make him the always popular jumpsuit? What do you think??

Image from What-I-Found


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment - every single one is appreciated x